Best Service Manual Source for DIY repairs

Kawasaki ATVs - all forums - gears slipping on my 1989 kawasaki atv.

Forum -> all terrain vehicles -> Kawasaki ATVs - all forums

gears slipping on my 1989 kawasaki atv.
by: stacy   on: Tuesday, March 30 2010 at 12:21:25 EDT

hello, i have a 1989 kawasaki klf300c1 4x4 atv
when shifting into 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear mostly, but even noticed a little in 1st and 2nd gea..

by: stacy   on: Tuesday, March 30 2010 at 12:25:05 CDT

hello, i have a 1989 kawasaki klf300c1 4x4 atv
when shifting into 3rd, 4th, and 5th gear mostly, but even noticed a little in 1st and 2nd gear
while accelerating rapidly between gears, the RPM rivved up and felt like gears slipping, transmission
what do you think, i would like to know from you to see if you confirm to me what i think it is
like to hear opinions..
thanks, stacy.

by: Doug   on: Tuesday, March 30 2010 at 14:25:27 CDT

Hi Stacy,
Are there any noises that you hear in the drive system when this happens?
Doug.

by: stacy   on: Tuesday, March 30 2010 at 15:02:51 CDT

none that i can tell, just kinda like a vibration and high rpms.

by: Doug   on: Tuesday, March 30 2010 at 15:42:33 CDT

It sounds like slipping clutch plates. There was a problem with the drive cam in the final drive slipping from a weak or broken spring, but you would hear a banging noise and feel a heaving knocking as the cam slipped. You would feel it in your left footpeg.
Most often the front clutch shoes wear out and the clutch will slip when taking off. It sounds more like your clutch plates are worn out if it's a higher RPM slip.
I would pull both and inspect all parts. Be sure to inspect the thin locking nut behind the front clutch. It can come loose and cause problems with the clutch. It also holds the drive gear for the oil pump.
Have you tried to adjust the clutch already? Do you have clean oil? If yes to both of those then you have no choice but to pull the clutch cover.
Doug.

by: stacy   on: Tuesday, March 30 2010 at 16:10:23 CDT

kinda what i thought.. are those hard to check?
oh yeh! It seems to lessen the slipping as the atv gets warmer.. and yes there is clean oil in the engine..

by: Doug   on: Tuesday, March 30 2010 at 16:51:56 CDT

No, not bad. Drain the oil and pull the clutch cover.
On the front clutch (the automatic clutch) there is a gap between the shoe and drum. This clearance tells if it's worn out or not. If you feel grooves in the drum, it's bad also.
On the rear clutch you measure the thickness of the plates. If you measure both and let me know the results I can tell you if they are within specs. You can get free parts diagrams that can be printed from http://www.Mrcycles.Com You can price out the parts and order them also from there if you wish.
Also, is this the machine with the bad ignition box? I saw your post on an earlier question and it sounds like your box is bad. On early models if you unplug them, there is a tiny hole in the center where the plug goes. If so, flip it up on end and put it on a warm surface.
They get water in the hole and it messes up the electronics. You can dry them and seal the hole with silicone and are good to go. On later models they fixed that and there is no hole.
There is a company that makes aftermarket boxes that are half price of factory ones. My buddy just put one on his and it worked great.
Doug.

by: cstacy   on: Tuesday, March 30 2010 at 17:17:29 CDT

yes it is the one with the "thought to be regulator or cdi" but found it was only the carb.. i replaced the carb with a honda 300trx 1996 model and it works perfect!!! but thnks for the tip on the cdi box, didn't notice a hole in it though.
i have a clymer manuel too for that kawasaki.
on the honda carb
i did have to put a honda starter plunger and nut on for the throttle cable, only 20 bucks
MOOSE brand makes a great product by the way.. looks like oem all the way, good stuff!
about the cdi and reg, for the kawaski i bought a set off ebay and it done no difference, only gave 60.00 bucks for the pair..
i will resale them on ebay now.
BUT i have noticed that sometimes the starter relay will act up, i guess it is what it is..
it will be in nuetral and i will go to start it and nothing.. tap on the starter relay and fires right up.. haven't had time to check for corosion on it yet.. thanks.

by: Doug   on: Tuesday, March 30 2010 at 18:15:47 CDT

There is probably some moisture in it. If you live in a cold climate it will freeze and not work.
Some of those will come apart and some are sealed. If it has the small screws on the top, it will come apart.
You may be able to clean the contacts. It's shot anyhow, so you loose nothing to try it.
Doug.

Forum -> all terrain vehicles -> Kawasaki ATVs - all forums

Secure Site by Norton Check My Site on ScamAdviser.com